Monday, August 28, 2017

Fun Facts, Siblings, and Writing What You DON'T Know! - A Guest Post by K.L. + Pierce


Blog post on Monday? As my old and loyal followers may know, I only post on Monday's for special occasions or when I'm covering a topic I usually don't cover. Well, today's post falls into both categories  Something special is about to happen and it is a topic I don't usually cover: A book launching! 

Allow me to introduce you to K.L. + Pierce: An amazing indie author. She is re-launching her first novel: Two Lives Three Choices. It is a fun sci-fi novel with heartfelt themes and an awesome antagonist (anti-villain? I'm not sure. You'll just have to read it and decide for yourself). I've had the pleasure of reading the original novel and have to say: I am beyond excited to read the re-launched version. Pierce has a lot of talent and a lot of heart and I am proud to be able to host her on my blog. 

Today she's here to talk about Two Lives Three Choices: fun facts, themes, and characters. But this isn't just a post about her book. It's also a post about yours. Rather, some tips that Pierce has discovered during her publication journey that she's passing down to us. 

So sit down and get ready to learn about her book, sibling relationships, and writing tips. You're not going to want to miss this: 
Fun Facts, Siblings, and Writing What You DON'T Know! - A Guest Post by K.L. + Pierce
All right, let’s start with a couple of fun facts:

Fun Fact #1: My novel, Two Lives Three Choices focuses on the relationship between two siblings.

Fun Fact #2: I am an only child.

Which means I have a grand total of zero experience when it comes to siblings.

So how did I end up writing a book that focuses on that relationship? Well...guess what this guest post is going to be about? =)

While I don’t have any siblings myself, I know a lot of people who do. From various conversations I learned that there was:
  • A lot of teasing / bickering involved 
  • There was that one sibling who always got into trouble 
  • No matter what, you’re still family 
While I decided I was happy being an only child, I was always fascinated by the connection that siblings shared. Despite the bickering and fighting, a sibling could also be your most trusted friend. I always wondered how far that bond could be pushed. If two siblings went from being each other’s confidant to bitter enemies, would they ever recover from that? Even if they couldn’t, would they still love each other?

I didn’t know, so I decided to answer that question for myself.

And because I wanted to write Sci-Fi, I decided to raise the stakes on the whole bitter enemies front.

Let’s just say that the relationship between the siblings in my story mirrors the relationship between Thor and Loki in the sense that one of the siblings is the antagonist. Or maybe anti-villain. I don’t know. It really depends on the chapter.

Anyway, I took what little I knew about siblings, wrote up two sibling characters, and inserted them into my story. Which is totally as simple as it sounds. Ok, no. Those two characters were hard to write and they ripped my heart out more than once. But I love them to bits so it’s ok. Yes, I’m one of those writers.

After the first draft was done, I asked people who had siblings to read it. I wanted to make sure I was accurately depicting a sibling relationship, because it was such an important element to the story. After incorporating their feedback, I was satisfied my portrayal for those two characters.

Now I just have to get both siblings on the same side. And make sure it’s not the good sibling that switches…. Future books! =D

Anyway, that’s the shortened version for how this only child wrote a book about siblings.

A piece of advice before you go. Just because you’ve never experienced something (like having a sibling) doesn’t mean you can’t write about it. You have many resources at your disposal. Friends, family, peers, etc. Google is my best friend, whether it’s surviving college or writing the next best seller (a girl can dream)!

Besides, this is all part of the territory if you’re writing any sort of fiction. Do the research, and write as best as you can! My guess it’ll turn out better than you suspect it will! =)

Two Lives Three Choices will be re-launched on September 15th, so everybody go mark their calendar. Did you do it? Okay. Good. Now go bookmark her website, follower her on twitter, on Facebook, and pretty much anywhere else her website links over to. Did you do it? Okay. Good. Now join me in sitting here and stalking these networks for new book news. 

Also, while we're waiting, leave a comment below and tell Pierce how awesome her post is! Ask questions, talk about your own sibling characters, mention what it is that you're writing that you don't know about, etc. Let's chat! 

19 comments:

  1. Definitely a good post with an excellent reminder for myself to add the sibling bickering in my WIP.... Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)
      Haha I had fun writing the sibling bickering in "Two Lives Three Choices."
      Will keep up the good work! Hope to one day see yours, too! I bet it'll be awesome! :D

      Delete
  2. I have nine younger siblings and what I think is funny is that some of those stereotypes (such as the "always gets into trouble") seem to repeat themselves the more kids there are...in my family there are two quiet, reserved nerds, two troublemakers, two motherly happy girls, two coy and clever kids (one's the youngest so I'm sure that's got something to do with it)... yeah. So far I'm the only Wandering Nomad kid but who knows.

    I think it's cool that you tackled that relationship. This gives me courage to write a romantic relationship even though I've never been in one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nine younger siblings? Yikes! I'm not sure if I could have survived that! XD Props to you! Very interesting that some of those stereotypes repeated! Hey you never know, a Wandering Nomad kid might, well, wander in one day!
      Glad I was able to help! :)

      Delete
  3. This was so cool! I love reading the backstory of writers and the reason why they chose to write a story about something. Particularly if it's something they've never actually experienced before and wanted to write about that something, letting their characters have what the writer themself never had. In your case, never having siblings and having your main character be just that. I'm intrigued. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for intrigue! :D
      Glad you enjoyed the post! Yeah I thought it would be interesting to tackle a sibling relationship. I've had glimpses, but have never experienced it first-hand. Then I thought: "Let's make it interesting by having one sibling be the other protag, the other be the antag. And, just for fun, let's put it in a Sci-Fi setting." My thought process in a nutshell. :)

      Delete
  4. I love sibling relationships in books! Especially since I only have one sibling and we've been really close all of our lives. So it's a little bit like reading about myself and my brother. Unfortunately I don't really have any in my WIP.... Wait, I lied. Yes I do. But it's a main character and a secondary character that only comes in every so often.

    But I do have an uncle/niece relationship between two characters that acts a lot like a sibling relationship. It's weird, I know, but I have a bit of experience with it. The uncle is closer in age to his older brother's daughter (the protagonist) than he is to his brother. They practically grew up together. So he acts like an older brother to her and doesn't let anyone mess with her. (I always like it when siblings watch each other's backs).

    Hopefully I explained it clearly.

    Also, something I've realized is that lots of times siblings are polar opposites. Which means that we either compliment each other or drive each other insane. And they don't always fall into the First, Middle, Last, Only child stereotype. At least my brother and I definitely don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read a lot of books with sibling relationships, but when I do those relationships intrigue me the most! I also love it when siblings watch each other's backs! Even though the siblings in my book are on opposite sides, they still look out for each other. Not easy, obviously, but they rise to the challenge as best they can!

      Don't worry, you explained that clearly! I think sometimes with only children other family members can either take aspects of the sibling role or almost be a substitute. Obviously not the exact same, but it helps provide a taste. I experienced that with some of my family members.

      Interesting about siblings being polar opposites! I can see how that could potentially drive someone insane! Haha nice to know that the stereotypes aren't always true! :)

      Delete
  5. Super cool post! Two of my main characters are twins, but I'm not, so I do a lot of observing of my friends who are. (Weirdly, I seem to have a lot) I can't wait to get into writing their dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D
      That's funny, a lot of my friends are twins, too. In my experience, they sometimes have similar personalities, but not always. Do your twins have similar personalities? Or different? Either way, I bet it'll be fun to write their dialogue!

      Delete
  6. Amazing post!

    I think it's really cool how you managed to write Dion and Krista's relationship purely through research. There relationship and Dynamics felt so natural that I never would have suspected they were written based off of your first findings.

    I really like your tip on getting someone with the experience of what you're going to write to look over what you've written and tell you whether it's accurate and give feedback and such.

    Anyways great post! Looking forward to Sep-15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emrys!

      I really wanted to nail the sibling dynamics, since those were central to the story. The feedback from people with siblings really helped with that. Also just remembering past conversations about or with siblings.
      Glad to hear that my research paid off! :D

      Delete
  7. I'm an only child as well! (And one of the few only children that I know!) I have families with multiple children and with one child in my writing. Since both my parents have siblings, and almost all my friends since childhood had siblings, and I'm now the parent of two boys, I figured I could get a pretty good handle on writing both. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you certainly have the resources to write about either an only child or a sibling relationship! Both of my parents had siblings, and a lot of my friends have siblings as well. So that really helped me when writing "Two Lives Three Choices!"

      Delete
  8. K.L. Pierce has done an amazing job on her revised edition. You should all read it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds super interesting. I'll have to check it out. I'm one of six kids, so I love stories with siblings.

    As for writing things I don't know about, I do it all the time. Karate, sword fighting, gymnastics. I think I might write more about what I don't know than what I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear what you think once you read it! :)

      Wow, that's impressive! I'm guessing you do a lot of research? Granted, researching those topics sound like fun. I might actually have to do some research on sword fighting and gymnastics for future books actually! :) Any recommendations on where to look?

      Delete
  10. my brother could be going on about business and finances and boring stuff, and the next he would be making stupid noises for as long as he could before someone yells at him. He's 23. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha some people never grow up! :)
      Granted that's not always a bad thing. lol.

      Delete

Google Analytics Alternative