Monday, January 30, 2017

WriteOnCon: An Awesome Online Writing Conference You Should Attend

What is this? Hannah posting on a Monday instead of a Friday? The sky is falling!

Don't worry. There will still be a writing tips post coming this Friday. Every once in a while I choose to post on a Monday when I have news I want to share outside of my regular posts. Well, today I have something I think you all will be interested in. Listen up.

I was recently given the awesome opportunity to be a WriteOnCon team member. WriteOnCon is an online writing conference geared towards KidLit, MG, YA, and New Adult authors. It's a pretty epic event that I've heard of before and considered attending, so of course I was pretty excited to get to be part of the team that brings it to the masses in all of its glory.

So, why am I telling this to you? Because the more I've been working on this event, the cooler and cooler it seems to me. I think it's something you all might really enjoy, so let me give you a brief overview of what it is:
WriteOnCon: An Awesome Online Writing Conference You Should Attend
Yep. The above image says it all. Post over. Return to your writing. 

Just kidding. Allow me to expand: 

WriteOnCon is an 3 day online writing conference for writers and illustrators of picture books, middle grade, young adult, and even new adult. So, basically everybody except for boring adult authors. You aren't allowed to sit with us cool kids. Just kidding. While some of the critiquing events are limited to the above categories, the live events, blog posts, and vlogs are open to every writer out there. Come one, come all!

This event runs from February 2nd (a Thursday), through February 4th (a Saturday). There will be blog posts, vlogs, live events, critique forums, and pitch sessions. The live events are held on Facebook and will include Q&A sessions with various authors, agents, and editors, along with critique sessions.

The Q&A sessions allow you to get some of those writerly questions answered. From publishing to editing to character development, you can post questions to live events and get some answers. This is my favorite part of the event because it means you all can bring your questions to somebody other than me. Just kidding. But seriously. Take advantage of this. Here's the schedule for you to peruse to find out which Q&A events look like your jam.

There's also going to be an online forum where you can post your polished query letters or samples of your writing. Agents and editors, known as Ninja Agents, will be somersaulting in and out of these forums, reading pitches and sample writings, offering feedback, and doing other ninja-y things.
How insanely helpful is that? You can check out the list of the Ninja Agents here.

But here's something else that's even better: Paying to attend this event isn't going to mean that you have to skimp on buying yourself coffee or a new book to read. Nobody wants to see a writer coffeeless or bookless. This is a humane event. There are different levels of admission, the most expensive one being $15. Told you it was cheap. To read about the different kinds of admission, click here. But I recommend the Extended Admission.

And you know what else is cool? This event is entirely online. Which means that you do not have to go outside and interact with other humans. Ew. You can sit at your computer wearing your bunny slippers and Batman hoodie and interact with other people via your brilliant writing, so nobody will be the wiser. Major plus.

I'm really excited about WriteOnCon, not only because I get to be part of the amazing team, but because I think its something that many of you would actually get a lot out of. It has something for every writer and it's a great way to connect with people in the writing industry, as well as to learn tricks of the trade, gain new perspectives, and just have a fun experience.

If this seems like something you're interested in, you can register here. And if you have questions, you can check out the FAQ page or read the blog.

So what do you think? Are you going to attend WriteOnCon? If so, I'm helping out with the live events, so I'll keep an eye out for your name down in the comments section and send encouraging writerly thoughts your way. Please leave a comment below and let me know what you think!

Enjoy this post? Take a look around! If you like what you see, subscribe by email for a new post every Friday! 

13 comments:

  1. Hannah, I just found your blog, and in your profile it says you wish someone invented a book - scented candle. Well, I thought that was interesting (and I love books too) so I did a Google search...

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/159184877/old-books-book-candle-book-lover-gift

    Hope this made you smile!
    From Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I know the link doesn't work so just copy and paste it into the search bar, I guess :)

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh! This is epic. You put a huge smile on my face. =D Thank you, Julia!

      Delete
  2. This is super cool! Kind of nerve wracking to post my writing for critique, but I definitely need the author feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can certainly be scary, but it is a good community and I'm sure everyone else is as nervous as you are. =) Feedback is super helpful once you just take that first plunge. =D

      Delete
  3. Just looking at the first day of events, there's a really great line-up! A great range of topics. I am definately intetested in "attending" now 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I'll keep an eye out for you and wave if I "see" you there. =D

      Delete
  4. Wow! What an AWESOME event! Everyone should go to it! It's amazing!

    (yes I'm one of the team members. But seriously, this is going to be an amazing conference.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Right? We are 100% not biased. We just know it's going to be awesome because we have inside information. =D

      Delete
  5. Ooh! I'd like to attend at least part of this. I'll have to check the schedule to see what's happening when my classes aren't. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That'd be awesome! If you get the Extended Admission, you'll have access to everything that took place during the event for a month after it's over. So if class makes you miss stuff, you can come back and watch/read it later. =D

      Delete
  6. DRAT! Found this after the fact. Will it be repeated? Are any of the sessions available online now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! So sorry, Varina! I'm not sure, but there may be another WriteOnCon in 2018. You may be able to get access to the posts and live events with Extended Admission. You can check that out here: http://writeoncon.org/register/

      I'm not too clear on the rules (I remember having it explained to me, but I have a terrible memory and promptly forgot =D), but it looks like you should be able to get in on some of the courses. Hopefully you are able to! I found them very helpful!

      Thank you for the comment!

      Delete

Google Analytics Alternative