Monday, November 9, 2015

Skies of Dripping Gold: Synopsis and Release Date


A few weeks ago I mentioned that I have plans to self-publish a short story of mine on Amazon. I've been keeping the idea under wraps ever since I started mulling it over in July. But no more. Today I'm going to share.

I'm nice like that.

Sorry. Captain America movie quotes are my second language. Let's try this again. I'll pretend I'm a professional and you pretend like you don't know otherwise: 

Skies of Dripping Gold is a Christian dystopian short story. It falls into the YA age category, though, like most YA fiction, you don't have to be a young adult to enjoy the story and themes. 
Christian dystopian is definitely not a category that we're used to seeing a lot of, which is why it was something that I wanted to try. It's not everyday that I get a chance to create something in a largely unexplored genre.

Written through the eyes of an atheistic young man of 19 years, the story-line is as follows:

In an angry, frightened world where the Poison claims many lives, a young man’s belief in Paradise has collapsed into a distant dream. Gabriel can no longer place his trust in the existence of such a place. Not when his sister’s pain continues to sap her strength. Not when prayers for her healing go unanswered.

As the Poison progresses, eating away at Lilly’s life, Gabriel sets off on a desperate climb to save her from death. Struggling to discover the truth behind a world where the skies drip gold, Gabriel tries to maintain his disbelief in a God while clutching after hope for his sister’s salvation. But, as he climbs the cliff that is said to lead to Paradise, he begins to see: if he can’t bring himself to believe in a place of peace and golden skies, then how can he possibly hope for his sister’s rescue? How can he possibly hope for his own? 

I plan to release Skies of Dripping Gold on December 5th. It is 16 pages long. However, since I will be publishing the story on Kindle, it will end up being more like 40 Kindle-sized pages. 

I'm also currently tinkering with the idea of publishing physical copies through CreateSpace, but we'll see how that goes. 

Needless to say, I am ridiculously excited about finally getting to share my fictional writing with you all. This story is one that I am very proud of, which is a very rare thing for me to say, given that I'm psychotic a perfectionist. 

I will be continuing to release updates and other exciting news as we approach December 5th. I have created a separate Pinterest account for my stories, so if you want a little more insight into Skies of Dripping Gold, you can check that out here

What do you think? Does the description catch your eye? If so, please feel free to comment, share, and spread the news. I'm beyond excited to see where this goes. 

Related articles: 

Don't worry: A writing related post will still be headed your way this Friday. Until then, take a look around. If you liked what you see, please don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every week!

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Miranda, you are so sweet. =) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a really cool story! I'd definitely be interested in reading it, since Heaven and immortality are two of my favourite concepts to explore. I also love the idea of a dystopia with a positive (or potentially positive at least) outlook. We need more of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's definitely written with a positive message, not a dystopian about "We're all dying and there's nothing we can do and help, zombies are eating our brains." =D Thanks for the comment! I'm glad it looks interesting to you.

      Delete
  3. Wow, this story sounds AMAZING! I've written a Christian dystopian too, and, especially compared to mainstream dystopians, there really aren't very many of them. We should change that, yeah?
    Also, I love that picture. Will you use it for the cover?


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. We should change that. Go you, writing Christian dystopian!
      Thanks for the encouragement! It's always nice to know that other writers like my ideas. =) I actually have a different cover in mind (I'll reveal it next Monday), but I'll be using the above picture as a backdrop for quotes.

      Delete
  4. I see that Nick Fury quote you slipped in there... :) I love the idea of Dystopian Christian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. You understood that reference! ;-) Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. This is awesome Hannah! I am so excited to read this. This looks like it's gonna weave everything that is going on your life and with your family together into a beautiful fiction story. I know that it is going to be insanely powerful. Keep going strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw. Thank you, Reigha! I really appreciate your support. Keep being awesome!

      Delete
  6. Um, may I get an autographed copy of this? Please and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I have never been asked that before. Day made. =) Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  7. This sounds great! I can't wait to buy it on Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a great description, Hannah. I'm crossing my fingers and wishing you best of luck with it :) I'm sure it will be a great success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouragement, Ramona! It's always much appreciated.

      Delete
  9. That is so exciting, Hannah! Your story sounds amazing-- seriously, I have never actually bought an online book, but I fully plan on buying Skies of Dripping Gold (how did you find that title, by the way? It is so beautiful. I can never decide on titles for my stories.) Your characters look fantastic, and I loved your synopsis. I can't wait for it to come out ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you, Gabrielle! What an honor.
      I actually came up with the title first. One day I saw the sun shining through rain-clouds, making it look like the sky was dripping gold. And I thought, "I bet that's what Heaven looks like." So I decided to incorporate that idea into a story, giving Lilly this beautiful image of Heaven to cling to through her pain. Usually I have a difficult time with titles, too, but this one came about rather nicely. =)

      Delete
  10. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    So excited!!

    I've never actually paid for an Amazon e-book, instead snagging the freebies, but I think I'll have to get this one!!


    So excited and proud for you, Hannah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Annie! Thanks for the support and excitement. =)

      Delete

Google Analytics Alternative