Monday, November 16, 2015

Skies of Dripping Gold: Cover Reveal

A few months ago I embarked on the journey of self-publication. It started with a story idea, which then grew into a short story titled Skies of Dripping Gold. The actual writing of this story went very smoothly, which was a huge surprise, because it usually takes me a while to get the words sitting just right on the page. 

Next, I had to edit the story. Grueling, but it went very well. From there I wrote a synopsis, launched into formatting the story for both Kindle and Createspace, wrote an "about the author," and tried to figure out how many of my amazing writer friends I could squeeze into the acknowledgments page. 

Finally I had everything finished. Skies of Dripping Gold was complete. There was just one problem: 

I had no cover.
On top of that, I had an even larger problem: 

I have absolutely no drawing skills. 

How was I supposed to make a cover if I don't know how to draw? 

When I sat down to try and find a way around this problem, I came to the conclusion that I can draw. My drawing is just limited to circles, rectangles, squares, and lines. And stick figures. But somehow I thought stick figures would be frowned upon by the indie community, so I decided to try and make a cover using only basic shapes and lines. I believe this is called minimalist art, but, if we're going to be truthful, it probably should be called "art for people like Hannah who can't pull off complex sketches." 

So, after re-reading my story and browsing Pinterest for examples of minimalist drawings, I came up with a cover. I'm very happy with it, especially because I didn't have to resort to stick figures:
What do you think of it? Please spread it around and help share the news. Remember, December 5th is the release date. If you haven't gotten the chance to read the synopsis yet, click here to learn about the story-line for Skies of Dripping Gold. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related articles:
Skies of Dripping Gold: Synopsis and Release Date
6 Reasons You Should Be Writing Short Stories....And 5 Tips to Help You Get Started

Enjoy this post? Take a look around. If you like what you see, please don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every Friday!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That turned out pretty great for someone who can't draw ;-) The minimalist look is good. With the synopsis the cover is telling. I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! How exciting for you! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Hannah! I actually thought your blog header WAS your book cover, and I like that equally as well as your cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover looks really good! And the synopsis has quite perked my interest. :) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments, guys! You're the best. =)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative