Friday, October 23, 2015

22 Great Indie Songs for Writers

I've always been fascinated with stories. That should be obvious, of course. I'm a writer. But I'm not just talking about written stories. I'm talking about movies, pictures, youtube videos.

One of my favorite forms of stories happens to be music. Coupled with a good beat and a talented voice, song lyrics are one of the most powerful forms of storytelling that I can think of. I've always enjoyed country music, but recently I've found a different genre to gain writing inspiration from: Indie music, specifically Indie pop or rock.
There are several reasons for this, the main one being that indie music tends to lean towards more meaningful lyrics that are often symbolic and capable of bringing a very clear emotion or picture to mind. This is exactly the kind of kick I look for when sitting down to write. Indie music is actually the only type of lyrical music I can listen to when trying to create a story....All others are too distracting.

Anyway, I'm always looking for the perfect music to listen to. I usually listen to Pandora, but sometimes it doesn't play the exact music I'm looking for. So I thought I might as well make a playlist and share it with you. Here are some of my favorite indie songs to listen to while writing:
  1. Superheroes by The Script. I really, really love this song. It's also pretty fitting for writers. Aren't we always turning pain into power? Don't give up.
  2. Am I Wrong by Nico & Vinz. For those of you who are striving to be something real. 
  3. Luck by American Authors
  4. Don't You Worry Child by Swedish House Mafia
  5. Preacher by OneRepublic
  6. Love Don't Die by The Fray
  7. The Nights by Avicii. This is a personal favorite of mine.
  8. Renegades by X Ambassador. Don't be concerned if you're doing things differently. Be concerned when you start acting like everyone else. My younger brother and I love this one.
  9. This is What it Feels Like by Armin van Buuren
  10. Calling (Lose My Mind) by Sebastian Ingrosso & Alesso
  11. Warriors by Imagine Dragons. This one always kind of reminds me of my MC from The Stump of the Terebinth Tree, so it always makes me happy to listen to it. 
  12. Heroes by Alesso
  13. Sinner by Andy Grammer
  14. Breakeven by The Script 
  15. I Bet My Life by Imagine Dragons
  16. Hey Brother by Avicii
  17. Haunt by Bastille
  18. Wake Me Up by Avicii. I have a slight obsession with these guys...and this song. 
  19. Save the World by Swedish House Mafia 
  20. Go Big or Go Home by American Authors
  21. I Lived by OneRepublic 
  22. Fade Into Darkness by Avicii. 
Avicii, American Authors, OneRepublic, Imagine Dragons, and Bastille are generally my go-to artists, but I wanted to add in some variety. Okay, maybe not as much as I should have. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? 

Overwhelmed by all the links? Don't panic. You can access the playlist on Youtube here

What kind of music do you enjoy listening to? Leave the names of some of your favorite songs below!

Related articles:
11 Songs To Listen To While Writing Moving Scenes
My Top 10 Songs for Writing Action Scenes
9 Songs to Listen to While Writing Sweet or Romantic Scenes

Enjoy this post? Take a look around. If you like what you see, please don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every Friday!

18 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm listening to those guys!! (Well, The Fray, The Script, Five for Fighting...) I love Pandora, and my Five for Fighting station is often running when I'm writing. :) I've often wondered what style of music that is, but I've never figured it out. Indie, huh?

    So, I got my first short story published today! Here's the link, if you're interested in reading it. :) http://issuu.com/homeschoolersofmaine/docs/home_digest_fall_2015/11?e=13858819/30881626

    I'm super excited that I've finally gotten published! Also, I'm kicking myself for not having my mother double-prove-read it because I don't think the magazine does anything in that respect and I found a few misplaced words when I was re-reading it this afternoon. :(

    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! The Script is awesome. =)
      I just read your story. Great job! I loved the imagery, especially the use of twilight. Such a sweet story! Go you!! *waves pom poms* And don't worry about the misplaced words. Happens to the best of 'em. =) Keep up the amazing writing, Annie!

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I enjoyed writing it, even though it ended on a sad note and I don't usually do that. :)

      Delete
  2. I listen to Renegades all the time when I'm writing my novel. It's a dystopian book, so the lyrics of the song literally fit perfectly! I love Wake Me Up and Hey Brother as well.
    Usually when I write it's hard for me to listen to songs with lyrics and write at the same time, so I mostly listen too instrumentals. The entire Harry Potter score is great, and I also listen to the score from Ender's Game all the time. Lately I've been obsessed with the song Saturn by Sleeping At Last.
    Ugh, I have so many favorites that I can't list them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had actually never heard of Saturn until you mentioned it. I just listened to it, and it's so awesome! And yes, I agree that the Harry Potter score is epic. I could listen to it all day. =) Thanks for the comment, Michal!

      Delete
  3. Love The Script :) Also, lately I've been listening to the soundtrack of Guardians of the Galaxy! The music is totally 80s, but boy does it vibrate with positive energy :) Awesome playlist, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I love that soundtrack. And that movie. And Chris Pratt. And Marvel. =D So yes, definitely fun music to write to. =)

      Delete
  4. If my novel (finally complete!) were to have a theme song, it would be "Comes and Goes (in Waves) by Greg Lasswell. It perfectly sums up my characters and their journey together. Do yourself a favor, everyone, and add it to your playlist. Oh, and thanks for sharing this list! I love finding new music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love that one! So cool. I can see how it would make a great theme song.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, yes, I love indie/alternative. Some good song up there. I really LOVE Imagine Dragons and they are no doubt, my favorite band. Other favorites include Of Monsters and Men and Coldplay. I didn't see any OMaM up there, so you might want to check them out, I think you'd like their creepy weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I love all three of those bands you just mentioned. I specifically like OMaM mostly because, as you put it, their creepy weirdness. Their "Little Talks" is one of my favorites. =D

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes Little Talks is lovely. Also, their album Beneath the Skin is basically the play list for Illusive Lucidity. I listen to it on replay as I write.

      Delete
    3. Little talks us really creepy but so nice at the same time!! So bizarre. Love all the songs you have all mentioned!@

      Delete
  7. I warmly recommend you The Paper Kites, Vance Joy, Angus and Julia Stone, The Lumineers and Ben Howard :) They are absolutely great and have enchanting lyrics ~ the perfect food for a writer's thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love The Lumineers! I'll have to go check out all of those other ones. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  8. David Bazan/Pedro the Lion is the Godfather of modern indie... I'm humbly recommending. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative