Friday, June 26, 2015

Mrs. Weasley's Chocolate Fudge Inspired by Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone


I grew up with certain sets of rules, some of them unspoken, like:

Don’t play in the freeway…that probably won't end well. 

Don’t wear trashy clothes…you’re better than that.

Don’t start eating until everyone’s seated (not that I ever followed this one)…it's impolite.

Don’t read the Harry Potter books…they’re not good. 

That last one was always a bit vague. I knew it had something to do with the fact that people thought the book promoted witchcraft….and maybe it was an agent of the devil? I wasn’t really sure. And I didn’t really care.

At least not at first. But when I got a bit older, it started bothering me. Almost everyone I knew said that Harry Potter was evil. I didn’t know whether that was true, but I had the nagging suspicion that it wasn’t. So, instead of getting information from people who, upon inquiry, had never actually read the book themselves, I decided to go right to the source.

I started reading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, half expecting it to be saturated with detailed instructions on how to cast hexes…or maybe extremely subtle underlying messages that were trying to turn people into devil-worshipers.

But it didn’t have any of that. I went into the series as a research project, and came out having discovered a beautiful story. The Harry Potter series is full of sweet messages about looking deeper, not judging people based on looks or even apparent actions. It teaches people to never give up, to always be brave (thanks for that, Neville), and how important family and friends are.
Which is why I chose Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone as the book of the month. Not only is it a good book, but it’s an important one. At least to me.

And anyone who attacks this book on the grounds of it being 'evil,' well, I will respectfully announce that that person has no idea what he/she is talking about. *casts shield charm* *realizes it doesn't work* *runs*

I think we all know the plot, but I’m going to tell you anyway because it’s fun:

Harry Potter didn’t know his parents were wizards. He didn’t know they were killed by Vol—er, He Who Must Not Be Named. And, until a giant shows up on the doorstop, he didn’t know he was going to go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry when he turned 11. But he soon finds himself on a train headed to the wizarding boarding school. Scrawny and a bit shy, he’s happy to make friends with a red-headed boy named Ron and a kid called Neville who can never find his toad. He thinks that maybe, here with people of his kind, he’ll be able to fit in like he was unable to in the muggle world. But it turns out that there are still things he doesn’t understand...things that people are keeping from him. Why does everyone seem to know who he is? And why does the greasy haired Professor Snape hate him so much? And why on earth is there a three-headed dog named Fluffy guarding a stone of unimaginable power in a restricted area of the Hogwarts castle? With the help of Ron and a bossy witch named Hermoine who fears getting expelled more than death, Harry sets out to discover the truth. But the truth, as the headmaster Dumbledore says, is “a beautiful and terrible thing, and should therefore be treated with great caution.” 

One of the aspects I love the most about this book, aside from the brilliantly humorous writing style, is the Weasley family. Nobody can deny Fred and George’s awesomeness, and the relationship between them and Percy the Prefect is hilarious. This is one of the only books in which I find Ron a bearable, even likeable, character. But it’s Mrs. Weasley who is my favorite. She ends up becoming a mother-figure to Harry later in the series, and this is hinted at in the first book.

She only met him once and was all kindness, helping him find his way onto platform nine and three-quarters. And she made him a sweater and some chocolate fudge for Christmas. I think this was partly because she wanted to be nice to Ron’s new friend. But I’m sure it also had to do with the fact that she looked at this orphaned boy who had lived under a staircase for years and decided that she was going to try to make up for all of the love he never got at home. Because that’s just what Mrs. Weasley does.

I’ve always loved that about her, so I thought it would be fun to make the fudge she sent Harry for Christmas. It’s chocolate, partly because that’s what it is in the book, and partly because, as Lupin taught us in The Prisoner of Azkaban, chocolate will make anybody feel better.

Because my younger brother has to follow a paleo diet, I tailored the recipe to fit this restriction. So not only is it chocolate, but it's healthy. Somewhat. Here’s the recipe:

Paleo Fudge
Ingredients –
  • 1 cup of melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup of cashew butter. I used salted because I like the way chocolate and salt go together, but that’s just me. You can also use almond butter if you want….but it comes out a bit more almond tasting.
  • ¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup of maple syrup, depending on whether or not you like sweets as much as Ron
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon of cinnamon…because cinnamon makes everything taste better. Except for scrambled eggs. Just don't even try. 
Directions –

1. Put all ingredients in a vitamix…or some other blender. Though if you don’t own one, you should probably look into buying a vitamix, especially if you have health restrictions. My vitamix is basically the equivalent of the Elder Wand…I can do anything with this puppy.
2. Line mini muffin tins with more melted coconut oil. Fill each tin up about half to three-quarters of the way full. This will give you enough for two sheets of mini muffin tins. 
3. Put in freezer for exactly 9 and 3/4 minutes. Okay, just kidding. It needs to go in for 30 minutes to an hour, then pop them out of their tins with a knife and refrigerate. Or eat. I prefer eat.

After I made these, I seriously considered running through the house and yelling “Troll! Troll in the dungeon!” so that my family would run away and leave me to eat them by myself. But I decided against it because it wouldn’t be believable. After all, we don’t have a dungeon….Or a troll. A shame, really. But that’s nothing compared to having to come to terms with the fact that, no matter how badly I wish for it, quidditch will never be a real sport.

At least I can levitate a plate of Mrs. Weasley inspired fudge. With Photoshop. But still. 
What about you? Are you a Harry Potter fan? I'd love to hear about your favorite bits from the first book! And if you've never read Harry Potter, either because you haven't gotten around to it or because some crazy person told you it was horrible, I'd encourage you to check it out. It's one of my favorite series: fun writing style, master world-building, great messages, and awesome characters. I'm interested to hear what you think of it!

Related articles:
Gluten and Dairy Free Seed-cake, Apple-tart, and Nut Round Recipes Inspired by The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
In Which I Make Mini Cottleston Pies Inspired by A.A. Milne's The World of Pooh
Rosa Hubermann's Pea Soup Inspired by The Book Thief

Enjoy this post? Take a look around. If you like what you see, please don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every Friday!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing back such, er, sweet memories of HP! I adore the series and JK. I audio'd the books, falling in love with the characters voiced through Jim Dale's rich baritone. Foodwise, I think of those lush Baquets in the long hall at Hogwart's...yum! Booger-flavor Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, not so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to get them on audio. Now I know to check out the one read by Jim Dale. Thanks!
      Yes, the Hogwarts banquets are my favorite. I'm saving that for when I do one of the other books. =) T

      Delete
  2. OMG! This is so great! Mrs. Weasley's Chocolate Fudge sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to try out your recipe.

    I'm so happy that you decided to take on Harry Potter and make your own judgements on the story. :-) Good for you. There are so many life lessons you can learn from Harry Potter and what a wonderful way to learn about the gray areas that is life.

    There are many books out there that people shun for all kinds of reasons, some of them well founded and some baseless; often we have to make our own opinions about such things. Sure Harry Potter has witchcraft in it, but like all knowledge -- it's what you do with your knowledge that makes it good or bad, not the knowledge itself.

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Alina! I know you'll love the fudge. I'm going to make another batch today.
      I agree: Harry Potter doesn't make everything black and white, which is something I appreciate. There are a lot of gray areas in life, so it's neat to see a book that reflects that in such a beautiful way. Great comment!

      Delete
  3. Oh, now I want to read those books again, and make a plate of that fudge! You have the best recipes. As the mom in a food intolerant/major digestive issue household, I am always on the lookout for different recipes. Thanks for sharing yours!
    And, I love the friendships in the Harry Potter series. Although Harry does have to finish some challenges on his own, he is always stronger because of his friends. Plus, I love that the secondary characters like Neville have their own redeeming story arcs.

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative