Friday, May 29, 2015

15 Things I Love About Being a Writer


I often wonder how non-writers make it through life. Not only is writing something I enjoy, but it’s something I simply need to do. So I look at people who don’t like to write and, being a writer, I try to get inside their heads and wonder why they’re like that. After a while I realize, “Oh, never mind, I don’t want to know.” Because it’s depressing. A world without words isn’t one that I want to live in.

Last week I was tagged by fellow writer Abby to participate in the '15 Things I Love About Being a Writer' tag. She’s a teenaged writer and bookworm working her way through high school while continuing to write and blog. Her posts are crazy helpful (and not just for teenagers) and she’s a really cool person, so if you haven’t checked out her blog yet, then go take a look around. You won’t regret it.
Raychel Rose ©2015
This tag was started by Raychel Rose, a funny thing since she, like Abby, is a writer I met and stay in touch with through social media. Anyway, I’m super excited to join in this fun posting adventure. So, in no particular order, here are 15 things I absolutely love about being a writer: 
  1. It helps me make sense of the world. I know a lot of people say that writers write to escape from reality. I don’t know about you, but this is completely untrue in my case. I write to help make sense of reality. It gives me a new perspective on the world, it reminds me of the important parts of this life, and helps me see more clearly. I can be in a lot of pain, not understanding why life seems to suck so much. Then I’ll write and all the pieces will fall together. It helps give me that “Oh, so that’s what it does” moment. I’m not anywhere close to an ‘enlightened soul,’ but at least writing helps me from being a dark one.
  2. Problem solving. There’s nothing more awesome than being able to fix a plot hole or get a story out of a rough spot. You know when you have those “ah-ha” moments while doing a cross word puzzle or trying to put together a piece of furniture? It’s like that, only ten-fold and with a cherry on top.
  3. Being weird. I have a desk littered with Little Mermaid toys, but that’s just a writer’s quirk, right?
    Just...don't ask.
    I can read The Art of War without people thinking I’m planning on going into world domination. I can ask weird questions like, “would it be possible to weaponized the Measles?” and get a weird look that quickly changes into a knowing, “Oh, she’s writing something” smile. In other words, I have an excuse for being weird. What’s yours?
  4. Knowing that this is what I should be doing. Some people are called to be public speakers, to be doctors, to raise children. Me? I’m supposed to help people see God through story-telling. Nothing is cooler than having somebody leave me a comment or message me through Facebook, telling me that something I wrote helped and encouraged them. It’s amazing. It helps me see that this is truly what I am meant to do. As someone who used to struggle with finding my purpose (something I got to blog about here), it’s nice to know that writing is what I’ve been put here to do.
  5. Character creation. This is one of my absolute favorite parts of being a writer. I get to create characters that not only inspire and encourage others, but that I know will stay with me and continue to teach me long after I’ve stopped writing them.
  6. Research. As a fantasy writer who also dabbles in science fiction, I’ve gotten to do lots of interesting bits of research. For example: did you know that scientists have developed a new microparticle filled with oxygen that can be injected into the blood stream, keeping you alive even if you can’t intake air into your lungs? Yeah, pretty cool, right? Also, fun fact: in Turkish mythology there is a creature called a Şüräle that lures its prey into a thicket and tickles it to death. Basically: a Turkish tickle monster. Now while this may or may not be useless information, I think it’s pretty cool.
  7. The writing community. This is probably one of the biggest perks. The writing community is made up of the coolest people around. Everyone is very supportive, encouraging, and awesomely weird. See point two.
  8. Endless points of view. To me, there is never just one way to look at things. I can see the world through the eyes of many different people and understand why certain people act or say the things they do. This one goes both ways, since there are often points of view that you don’t want to understand. But I think that being able to look at the world in such a different way has its advantages, especially when it comes to writing characters. 
  9. Plotting. As much as I love the actual act of writing, plotting is a close second. It’s fun to be able to start planning out a storyline and then sit back and watch the plot unfold.
  10. Feeling fulfilled. When I know that I’ve written something beautiful and true…well, that makes the ache in my hands and the moments of mental anguish all worth it. Even watching my word count go up and knowing that I’m getting closer and closer to achieving my goal is an awesome feeling.
  11. Reading. The fact that reading counts as inspiration, research, and forming potential marketing plans is awesome. I’ve always loved reading. Now I have extra reasons for doing so.
  12. Connecting with people.  Writing on this blog has allowed me to connect with so many amazing people, both writers and non-writers. And writing my book has deepened already existing relationships by giving me a passion in common with my writer/reader friends. If I didn’t write, I would have missed out on so many cool conversations and new friends.
  13. Imagination. Story writing doesn’t always happen on paper. It’s a continual process. I can appear to be doing absolutely nothing when I am, in fact, creating world and crafting stories. I might look like I’m washing dishes, but I’m actually fighting demons or swimming with mermaids. I’d hate to live in a world where a spoon is simply a spoon and not a wand. How depressing would that be?
  14. Cool supplies. Leather journals, awesome-looking pens, mini journals, voice recognition software, character journals. I have a thing for journals, in case you couldn’t tell.
  15. Dreaming. Writing is my dream. Sure, being a published author is ambitious, especially for a young girl with Lyme disease. But by writing each day, I work slowly but surely towards my goal. I know I can make it because if writing has taught me anything, it’s taught me how to fight for my dreams.

There are so many more things I love about writing, but I’ll stop at 15 because those are the rules.

Okay, we all know I’m not much for rules. In truth, I’m only stopping at 15 because I’m excited to get to this next part: tagging other writers to write a blog post about their reasons for loving being a writer. Here they are, in no particular order:
  1. Caroline Reinhart at Emoji’s, Corn, and Survival Tips for Teens. She’s been guest blogging here on a series called Tumor Troubles. Her blog is super cool, her story is amazing, and it’s been awesome to get to know her and her writing style. Plus, she’s a very sweet person and I think you’d all benefit from getting to know her.
  2. Miranda Kulig at Dreams and Dandelions. This girl has some seriously wonderful blog posts going on. It's impossible to leave her site without feeling happy and inspired. I think Abby already tagged her, but I'm tagging her again because I like her stuff. 
  3. Alyssa Hollingsworth at Alyssa Hollingsworth. Fellow writer, geek, and spoonie, not only is she a talented writer, but one that inspires and encourages. She’s been working on an anthology called Beautiful Lies that looks amazing.
  4. Emma at My Crazy Writing Obsession. Her blog is just getting off the ground and she has some good tips and tricks to offer, so go check it out.
  5. Rae Elliott at Barely Hare Blog. I recently got to do a guest post on her blog, a proud moment for me because my writing got to be side by side with her own amazing posts. Go read some of her writing. It’s great!
  6. You at your blog. There are so many other talented bloggers I want to mention, but I don’t have room. So if this is a tag you want to participate in, feel free. Just leave a comment on my blog when it’s up. I’d love to read what you come up with!
If I have tagged you, you are under no obligation to write a post. Mentioning you was mainly my way of getting to plug your blog…having you join in this project would just be an extra perk. If you decide to participate, leave a comment below and don’t forget to link over to my blog in your post! I’m excited to see where this goes. 

To those of you who enjoy the thought of this blog challenge but don't want to write an entire post, feel free to leave a comment below! Tell me: what are some of your favorite parts about being a writer?

Enjoy this post? Take a look around. If you like what you see, please don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every Friday!

22 comments:

  1. Aww... Thanks Hannah! I will definitely write a post! You rock! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you decided to join in. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for writing this post and participating in the tag, Hannah! Also, thank you for writing such a kind introduction. I think my head is swollen. Too many compliments and flattering words. :)

    You wrote a great list here. I could spend forever commenting on it! I'll try to spare you though, and keep it short. :)

    I love that you mentioned problem solving as #2. Problem solving is the best part about writing, I think. When you boil it down, writing really is just a great, big, old problem solving game. Which character is the protagonist? What is the story's theme? How can I make this sentence sound awesome-er? What in the name of San Juan Hill does this antagonist want?

    Me thinks it's a standard fact that most writers possess a certain amount of weirdness. It's probably what makes us so awesome. (I've got stuffed animals on my desk. You're not alone.) My characters are also special to me, and I hope they're special to others. They may not be the best people at first, but over time, they learn. It's fun writing that change, because all of a sudden, they aren't just words on a page anymore. They're not characters. They're people.

    I echo the points of view, as well. Sometimes, it's almost frightening to step into another's shoes, and actually attempt to justify their heinous actions. But it makes for one breathtaking read. The best books are the ones who nearly, or completely, legitimize the antagonist's actions. It's interesting.

    I can't close off this comment without mentioning the supplies, too! I love me some journals. And stationary. And pens. Love the pens. Can't live without 'em. And notebooks. And cool software. Writing is such fun, but it can be hard on the wallet.

    Again, thank you so much for participating in the tag. Your kind words in the intro really made my day, and they were so appreciated. I'm going to check out some of the bloggers/writers you tagged as well. Thanks, Hannah!
    --Abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read some of your posts. I love "How To Be a Writer Part I" and your organization apps may save my life! Thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Wow, thank you, Caroline! I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog, and those organizational apps saved my sanity. Believe me. You're welcome, too. :)

      Delete
    3. Hey Abby! I'm happy you liked the list. It's cool to see how much writers have in common when it comes to what we love about our craft. Good point about problem solving being the biggest part of writing. I had never looked at it that way before, but it totally is. So cool! Thanks for your awesome comment. I had lots of fun reading it. And go you with your stuffed animals! =)
      P.S. Glad to see that you and Caroline are hitting it off. I knew you guys would like each other. =) Happy writing!

      Delete
  3. what a list! I wanted to chose my favorite but realized I agree with everything you said. Life without writing? nop, not interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, in a life without writing I would be more crazy than I am now. I think. =) Glad you liked the list!

      Delete
  4. Another one of your sweet posts, Hannah :) It's such a pleasure to stop by and read them. I can't wait for you to get published, so I can read that too! I'm sure it will be simply amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for always being so encouraging, Ramona! I'm hoping to hook myself an agent soon. Fingers crossed. =)

      Delete
  5. Great post, Hannah! And thanks for the tag! I have my post all ready and set to go up tomorrow morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you decided to join. I'm looking forward to reading your post!

      Delete
  6. And when you can't solve a problem, as in #2, you are feeling so happy when you find competent assistance. For weeks I wondered what to do with our badass girl in the final chapter to tie up that loose end, and then my wife suggested a solution that perfectly matched her character and was so devious that, I think, only a woman could have come up with that. I at least wouldn't have even if I had looked for a solution another half a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. It's so cool when someone else comes in and randomly throws out an awesome idea that fits perfectly. =)

      Delete
    2. YES. It's so cool when someone else comes in and randomly throws out an awesome idea that fits perfectly. =)

      Delete
  7. Hi Hannah
    You may not believe this, but I'd never considered the question before; and I really had to stop and think hard to work out my motivations.
    I agree with all your 15 points, but I don't think any of those are at the heart of it, for me. I think basically what I love about writing is the same thing I love about reading: being able to be someone else, in some fantastic other place. Plus, added on top of all that, is the surprised satisfaction of knowing that I created that!
    I also love it when two characters are striking sparks off each other, either in dialogue or in more direct conflict. And you're right, when you see the cunning or surprising solution to the awful predicament you've put your protagonist in - that's a feeling that money can't buy.
    I think, basically, I just love stories. Thank you for asking the question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luke. I'm glad my post got you to stop and think for a second...that's always cool for me to hear. =) I think your reasons for loving writing are awesome. I also simply love stories: movies, books, short films, it doesn't matter as long as I get to immerse myself in a new world and discover new concepts. And you're right: there's such a triumphant feeling that comes from looking at something you've created and having it feel real and beautiful.
      It's so neat to hear about what makes other writers tick. Thank you for the awesome comment!

      Delete
  8. Love these--all spot on! Thank you so much for posting it. I'm going to have to bookmark this page so I can get back to it. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It's always fun to meet a fellow writer with a similar thought-process. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  9. You know that microparticle thing? Couldn't you breath under water with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the idea, yes. Of course they still haven't gotten it to work correctly yet (I believe the lab rats have all died after breathing it for a while), but still. The potential. I could be a mermaid. =D

      Delete
    2. That is so cool! I hope they get it to work (poor rats)

      Delete

Google Analytics Alternative