Thursday, February 5, 2015

The Liebster Award - In Which I Answer Random Questions and Link Over to Other Epic Blogs

Bloggers. We launch our writing out into cyberspace, hoping that somebody will read what we have to say. We suffer bouts of insecurity. We consider shutting our blog down…it’s not like anyone will notice.

Or will they?

Like most small bloggers, this question bothers me a lot. It was bothering me the other day, actually, when lo and behold, fellow blogger, Cowden’s Syndrome fighter, and overall awesome person Suzi T contacted me through Google +. She had nominated me for the Liebster Award.

I didn’t know what that was until I read this little piece she included from another blogger:

The Liebster Award originated in Germany. The German word Liebster means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. In short, this award is given to the upcoming promising bloggers who have some worth-reading content and certainly have less than 200 followers as a recognition of their talent and as a way to greet them "welcome". This is a small act of inspiration that might change a blogger's whole point of view, just like it changed mine. The Liebster Award is an award for Recognition. You would not get any money, or cup, or medal, or certificate; just a recognition which will give you a spot-light mark in this crowded blogging-market!
Another thing about this award is that this is a "Pay it forward" award, like a chain-reaction. Once you have accepted the award, you have to search for other bloggers, who are emerging as new buds with some really promising content which you find worth reading. You can accept it, or you can let it go; no harm done....However, if you want to accept The Liebster Award, you have to follow six simple rules which are:

How cool is that? There I was, sitting and suffering from blogger's remorse, and this gets plopped in my lap. So here we go:


11 Random Facts About Myself:
This didn’t specify how random, so of course I’m going to take it to the extreme:
  1. All I asked from life was to be allowed to make it to 5 foot 5 inches. I thought this was reasonable, since I come from a family of short people. I never made it past 5’ 4”.
  2. My favorite Youtube channel is Blimey Cow. It’s for homeschoolers and sarcastic people. I’m both, so it fits perfectly.
  3. Surfing in the rain is one of my favorite things to do.
  4. I have a genetic mutation and it didn’t even give me superpowers.
  5. I can’t stand most YA novels, so of course I’m writing a YA fantasy trilogy.
  6. Without my super-hero of a mother, this blog (and my stories) would be cluttered with typos and grammatical errors.
  7. Since I’ve had to stop eating gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar due to Lyme disease, the two foods I’ve missed the most are Costco Pizza and glazed old-fashioned donuts.
  8. I dislike the book Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine almost more that I dislike math.
  9. If I could own any car in the world, I’d go with a convertible VW bug that doesn’t break down every few weeks. I’m not even sure if those exist. If they don’t, then I’ll go with the car Nick Fury uses in The Winter Soldier.
  10. I’m going through junior college right now and, despite popular belief, I am not planning on majoring in Creative Writing. I’m going for a degree in Nutritional Science.
  11. I have never been able to figure out what Steampunk is, but I’m determined to read at least one novel in that genre before summer.
My 11 Questions to Answer:
  1. Where are you from and what's the weather like? I’m from Southern California and we’re having 75 degree weather in February.
  2. Why blogging? I started having an itch to write something different besides novels and short stories. I also wanted to test things out, see how people like my writing style, and start building a platform for when I finally get my book published.
  3. Who is your greatest writing inspiration? Probably C.S. Lewis, though I just recently discovered J.K. Rowling, who has definitely changed the way I look at creating characters.
  4. What is the story behind your blog title? Well, I wanted to get my name out there so that it’s easier to publish. Also, I couldn’t come up with anything creative…not a good sign, considering I’m a creative writer.
  5. What is your favourite ICE CREAM flavour? Coffee, hands down.
  6. What do you know about Australia? I know it has lots of awesome/famous surf spots (Bells Beach, Margaret River, Snapper Rocks), the Great Barrier Reef is right off of its coast, and it’s home to two of my favorite pro surfers (Mick Fanning and Taj Burrow). Also, I think kangaroo’s hang out over there.
  7. If you had one writing wish granted, what would you ask for? That my writing would change at least one person’s life for the better.
  8. Who would you invite to write an intro to your best seller? Well, considering all of the authors I look up to are dead, I’ll go with J.K. Rowling, since she’s one of the few modern-day writers I enjoy.
  9. What is the best gift you ever received? I have no idea. I guess my laptop…or a Barnes and Noble gift card.
  10. What is the best advice you would give someone writing their first blog? Don’t give up. That’s pretty much the best advice I would give to anyone doing anything.
  11. What sort of food represents you and why? Wow. Um…I’ll go with gluten-free bread. It is what it is, you either like it or don’t, and nothing you do will make it taste different or better....Unless you put it through hell (aka: burn it in the toaster), then, for some weird reason, it tastes slightly better and you can appreciate it more fully. I can’t believe I just wrote that....Moving on.
My 10 blogger nominees
10 of some of my favorite bloggers/people on the internet:
  1. Writing and Rewriting by Paola Crespo
  2. Triad vs. Trinity blog by Mia Sandara
  3. Jessica Lynn Martin by (you guessed it!) Jessica Lynn Martin
  4. Alyssa Hollingsworth by *drum roll* Alyssa Hollingsworth
  5. Jennifer Austen – Author by….oh, forget it.
  6. What She Wrote by Rachel Stevenson
  7. My Bookish Life by Ramona Wray
  8. Rae Elliot Books by Rae Elliot
  9. Tyrean’s Writing Spot by Tyrean Martinson. She probably has more than 200 followers, but I’m tagging her anyway because I like her stuff.
  10. Meg Living Inside Out by Meg Davis
  11. There is no number 11. All the other people I would nominate have already done this.
Now for my 11 questions for my nominees:
  1. Have you ever been to California?
  2. If you could get any famous writer/blogger to start following and commenting on your blog, who would it be?
  3. What kind of music do you listen to while writing?
  4. What are your top three goals in life?
  5. What do you hope to gain through your blog?
  6. Ebook, audiobook, or just a plain book?
  7. Is there a particular movie that you’re looking forward to seeing this year?
  8. What is a pet hobby of yours (one that you don’t blog about)?
  9. If you had to dress up as any book character, who would it be?
  10. What’s your favorite social media to use?
  11. How many more followers will you need to gain in order to feel justified in throwing a huge party?
And that’s that. If I’ve chosen you, your mission, should you choose to accept, is to give 11 random facts about yourself, answer my above 11 question, nominate 11 other bloggers, and give them 11 questions to answer. Then you get one of these badges to put on your blog. Yay! Just pick whichever you like best:
 

If I haven’t chosen you, never fear! Don’t give into blogger's remorse. People DO read your blog. It’s just so awesome that you don’t need a badge to tell people how cool your writing is.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Hannah, what a lovely post! Thanks for the honor, I shall endeavour to do it, though it will probably take a couple of weeks (sorry, absolutely crazy schedule!!!) I also hate Ella Enchanted - it has put me off re-imagined fairy tells and, as a result, I probably missed a lot of really good books. (I just started Cinder today, and guess what? Cinderella is a ... cyborg! How cool is that? And I almost never read the series... *shakes head*)

    Anyway, one of the biggest regrets of my life is that I never learned to surf. I am wicked jealous of you for it :)

    Steampunk is a genre in which the stories take place in the past, most often while Nicola Tesla is still alive. It's not really our past, but a parallel one, which has occurred like so: at some point in our history, we made a different turn that led to a different, faster kind of mechanical development , again with great emphasis on Tesla's involvement. Sometimes this evolution blends in with some kind of magic. The result? Cool clothes, zeppelins, ships and other awesome means of locomotion. Stories are usually set in London, so the language is often British-polite. You should read The Girl in The Steel Corset. You'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay you completed it all! Well done. Love JK Rowling too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is so sweet! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwww!!!!!! HANNAH! YOU JUST MADE MY WEEKEND! Love you ... (<&3)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Hannah :) and kudos for JK Rowling :D

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative