Monday, November 3, 2014

11 Songs To Listen To While Writing Moving Scenes


I while ago I talked about good songs to listen to while writing action scenes. But what about inspirational/moving/touching scenes? I can’t even think of the correct name for those kinds of scenes, but you know the kind I’m talking about. The scenes that make your heart ache after you write them. Not necessarily sad scenes, but scenes that tug at you and leave you staring at the computer screen and feeling as though you just left a piece of your heart in that story. 

That's the kind of feeling you hope your readers will experience after setting your book down. But they can’t feel it unless you do, which is why listening to the right kind of music is important.

That’s what this post is for.

First of all, you should know that these songs are mostly film scores. Why? Well, I have two reasons, both of which I talked about in my other post. But just to recap: the main one is that if I listen to songs with lyrics while writing, then I end up typing words from the song into my novel. Not only is this frustrating, but it’s not very productive. The other reason is that I watch a lot of movies and have a friend who is a film score junkie, so I’ve come to listen to a lot of songs from a lot of different movies. Based off of these two reasons, I put together a list of film scores to listen to while writing inspirational/moving/whatever-you-call-them scenes. If you know what to title that kind of scene, then leave me a comment because it’s really bothering me that I can’t think of the correct name:
  1. Now We Are Free from Gladiator soundtrack (one of my absolute favorites)
  2. Rosemary’s Piano from The Giver
  3. Evenstar from Lord of the Rings (this version is actually by Shane McDonnell instead of Howard Shore)
  4. Idyll’s End from The Last Samurai
  5. Resurrection from The Passion of The Christ
  6. The Other Side from Gattaca
  7. Gollum’s Song from The Two Towers
  8. Nerevar Rising from Morrowind
  9. Into the Fray from The Grey
  10. White Hart from Snow White and the Huntsman (the last part of this is a little too 'action and adventure' but the first part is beautiful) 
  11. Eternal Love from Dracula Untold
I put it together a playlist of all of these songs just for you: Music for Writing Moving Scenes. It will get you 46 minutes of writing.

Have any songs you think should be added? Leave me a comment! Or tweet me the link to the song here: @_HannahHeath.

Related articles:
My Top 10 Songs for Writing Action Scenes
6 Easy Ways to Gain Writing Inspiration
Writing to Film Scores: Emotion from Music to Paper - A Guest Post by Susannah Metzler

Enjoy this post? Take a look around. If you like what you see, please don't forget to subscribe by email for a new post every week!

22 comments:

  1. Love this playlist!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this playlist! I love most of these scores. As for adding any, I can only think of scores that pump me up instead of creating this somber tone you were talking about. I will definitely consider playing songs like these when I'm writing a scene that calls for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Thank you! I'll have to look into these songs. "Oceans" by Hillsong is also great when searching for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oceans is one of my favorites. There is a woman at my church who sings it beautifully. Glad you liked the playlist!

      Delete
    2. Got to see hillsong perform it at a live music festival. It makes it 10x better!

      Delete
  4. I haven't heard any of these songs but I'm looking forward to listening to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them! #1 and 2 are some of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. While working on my novel this summer, I've been listening to "Even When it Hurts" by Hillsong 80% of the time and "Joy" by Rend Collective every once in a while! Right now, I'm doing the tough, sad, moving scenes and I have to wait until late at night when it's dark and the house is quiet. When I did my really sad scenes (death scenes:( ), I listened to the instrumental of "Say Something" as well as put on a Youtube track of gentle rain. So sad:( did the trick though! Thanks for this list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so neat! I love hearing about other writer's methods. I'm actually listening to "Say Something" as I type (randomly popped up on my Pandora station). =) Definitely see how that would help you get in the mood. The Rainy Cafe is a great place to get a rainy background kind of noise: http://rainycafe.com/ It's a favorite of mine.
      Thanks for the awesome comment!

      Delete
  6. You have listed two of my favorites - and thank you for the rest - on to ITunes right now. How about trying? "Gabriel's Oboe" from "The Mission"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Per your suggestion, I just listened to Gabriel's Oboe. So neat! Thank you for telling me about it.

      Delete
  7. I love soundtracks from movies- it's funny you never realize how good they are until you listen to them without the movie. Another thing I heard (but we all know not everything on the Internet is reliable) is that listening to video game soundtracks helps with focus because the producers want you to be more engaged with their game. I also guess they have different music for relaxed travel scenes and intense action scenes?? Haha. I'm gonna go try it out on the Skyrim: Elder Scrolls V soundtrack and let you know how it works.

    But me being the teen full of angst, I listen to Twenty One Pilots whilst I write. I dunno, it helps because they have really emotional songs. Words in songs while I write doesn't bug me as much, though occasionally I find myself unable to put my thoughts into words if music is playing XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard the same thing about video game soundtracks. I've never tested it out as far as using travel scenes vs action scenes, but that makes sense. I LOVE Skyrim's score. =)

      I listen to Twenty One Pilots on occasion, specifically "Stressed Out." I was recently able to overcome my "no lyrical songs while writing" problem, and it's awesome. =)

      Thanks for the great comment, Hannah! Beautiful name, by the way. =)

      Delete
    2. Haha I love it too, I guess it helps that I used to be obsessed with it. I tried it and it works great! It helps more I think though with things like reading or skimming through/revising your own work, but it stills works pretty good for while you write.

      I love "Stressed Out"- I really like the whole Blurryface album, actually. I think good emotional songs to listen while writing tense scenes are "HeavyDirtySoul" and "The Run and Go." "Kitchen Sink" and "Oh Ms Believer" are some good ones from other albums. I could honestly go on all day haha :)

      Haha thanks, yours is pretty great, too ;)

      Delete
  8. I follow your work on Pintrest and this just popped up so I decided to try it out. I love all of it. I am a author but i haven't gotten around to publishing anything yet. These songs have really helped me in writing some emotional scenes. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing the playlist!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Loved so, so many of them! May I suggest "Cold" by Jorge Mendez", "The Sting Of Loss" by Kerry Muzzey. Two great pieces for the aftermath of a fatal injury for a character, two character can have their final scene...Also "Goodbye, my lover" by Sad Piano Music Collective as a lovely moment for a character to have whilst they reflect upon a loss...

    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hannah, I rarely find anyone that is so inspired by music - especially when writing. I absolutely agree that the tones can recall certain emotions or make you remember themes, goals, etc. I LOVE your posts. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited to hear this, Pam! Thank you for the cool comment!

      Delete
  12. The right music is so important! Half the time, if I listen to music, I can't find just the right song for a specific scene, and it distracts me. It would simplify my life if I just wrote the entire music score for my story, so that I could have the perfect music - except that writing the music is about as much work as writing the story.
    I found an instrumental song the other day that fit perfectly - for a memorial - but it could also apply to other themes, so I just keep listening to that song. Except that now I associate the song with the story and visa-versa! Oh, well. At least it works.
    Anyway, it's really cool to hear from someone that has the same problem as I do, but that finds solutions :))))

    ReplyDelete

Google Analytics Alternative